A cancer diagnosis completely upends eating habits. Firstly, you are restricted from eating various types of food with a low bacteria diet. Secondly, you can have weird side effects like cravings, swings in appetite, or digestive issues. Finally, the medication can completely alter the taste of your favorite foods.
With all these changes, it can be really hard to maintain a normal, healthy diet while undergoing treatment.
Ginger Garlic Veggie Noodles
Not only are ginger and garlic a delicious combination, they’re a wonderful help for our bodies as they boost immunity and reduce inflammation. It can be tempting to make stir fries with store-bought sauces, but they often have high sodium and additional preservatives, so it’s much safer and healthier to use ingredients you know.
Also, to prevent additional exposure to bacteria, you can buy frozen organic mushrooms from a brand you trust where they have special methods for cleaning before freezing. If washing fresh mushrooms, be sure to rest on paper towels to remove excess water causing the mushrooms to become soggy.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 8 ounces Asian noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 cups fresh or frozen asian veggies, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos or light soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Boil noodles according to directions. Drain and rinse with cold water before setting aside. Noodles should be completely cooled before stir frying to prevent sticking.
- Warm oil in saucepan under medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic and sautee for 30 seconds.
- Next, add veggies and turn heat to medium high heat.
- Add 1-2 tbsp liquid aminos.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until heated through with veggies remaining crisp and brightly colored.
- Toss in chili paste for an extra kick.
- Toss in cooled noodles to combine flavors and heat
- Add 1 tbsp rice vinegar and remove from heat.
About the Author
Fifi Buchanan is a mechanical engineer, writer, and voice actor. She is a Southern California native who currently lives in Los Angeles, where she writes for her own blog as well as other brands, and spends time advising for Girls Build LA. When not writing, she enjoys trying new restaurants, taking yoga classes, and hiking with friends.